Thursday, January 5, 2012

2012

So for 2011 I tried something new.  I made a list of 100 things to do in 2011.  I am not much of a list maker, which, incidentally, was proven true when I never actually finished making the list...It only had 96 things on it.  Of those 96 items, I completed 44...which isn't too shabby for this non-list maker.  These things ranged from visiting my sister in Boston to driving a tractor... from learning to tie a tie to performing a choreographed dance in front of 1,400 people...and from putting together a 1,000 piece puzzle to finding that oh-so-necessary recipe to call my own.  I am glad I did the list. But.  As it turns out, 100 things was a tad ambitious.

Now, what to do for 2012? I'm not one for resolutions because as exhibited with the 2011 list, among other things, I struggle from time-to-time...cough cough...with follow through.  Year after year, I have vowed to be on time, to quit double-booking, and to work out more (sidenote: I did actually purchase a gym membership today...but it was less of a New Year's resolution and more of a giving over to fear of all the wild country dogs near my house).  We have all made those resolutions that die out somewhere between "this is a great idea!" and January 31st.

With this said, here are my hopes for 2012.  Maybe goals is the right word?  Meh, I dunno.  We'll find out.

I hope 2012 is a year filled with adventure and risk-taking.  It already appears that this year will be one for taking risks and embracing the unknown. I have a sneaking suspicion that this year will be one where I really start to look at what direction I want my life to take.  Eek, that sounded too big kiddish.

Moving on...

I hope 2012 is a year for developing my strengths.  The past 2 years have really been about developing my weaknesses.  Don't get me wrong, I am so thankful for how much I have grown and what I have learned, and overall becoming more well-rounded...but let's face it, developing your strengths is way more fun!

In 2012, I hope to read and write more.  This one partners with the previous one.  I was an English major, after all.

In 2012, I hope to manage my time better.  This past fall was absolutely out of control.  I had way too many committments and nearly every hour was blocked out with something and every weekend was a trip or a schedule.  While I loved everything I was a part of and got to do, I recognize that I was stretched too thin and wasn't doing any of it with excellence.  This is the story of my life--saying yes to everything--and always hoping to do it all. FOMO* at its finest.  I am going to trim back some stuff for this year and try to put more focus and heart into each thing.

Lastly, I hope 2012 is filled with lots of fun, new experiences, Neon Dynamite softball, laughing, road trips, Bingo, and a Sooner championship team. =) Stay tuned...

"There are years that ask questions and years that answer."-Zora Neale Hurston

*Fear Of Missing Out

1 comment:

  1. a) I'm stealing that quote at the end
    b) I love that I can hear your voice saying all of this, which is why it is so perfect
    c) 44 is still a LOT to be proud of!
    d) FOMO friends make life far more fun
    e) sometime soon, you'll get a random phone call from me because it's just not right that I like you so much and you don't live anywhere near me.

    ~Love, Mallory~

    ReplyDelete