Tuesday, January 31, 2012

So Close, Yet So Far...

Yesterday will always be referred to as the day that I tried to go skiing with only 2 days’ notice. To set the scene: Sunday night I talked to my friend Kristin on the phone. We were just catching up and such when she mentioned that this weekend is when they are going skiing with her parents. The conversation goes as follows:
Kristin: Too bad Jordan has to work and you guys can’t come.

Jenny: Yeah, too bad he doesn’t even have to work this weekend anymore!

K: Well…so is there any way that you guys could come?!

J: ……………(long pause as I contemplate the many logistics that would play into this)

J: Well. Hmmm. Maybe?! Ok ok I will check into this!!

So the rest of Sunday night and then yesterday morning were a whirlwind of details and number crunches. How many miles is the trip? How many gallons to the tank and miles to the gallon? Ok, so then how much will gas be? And I have PB&J supplies already, so how much for groceries? Lift tickets are an outragesouly good deal at $50/day. Check. Lodging, also a good deal. Check. Good good. Ok, 32 hours in the car in 5 days. Wowzers. But doable. And worth it.

From logistics, it turned to responsibilities. How many vacation days do I have left? What all do I have going on at work in the next few days? How would I reschedule tutoring? Do I have any available time to reschedule that tutoring? I still have college group to think about too. Two people will be out of the office while I would be gone, making our team 3 people short—not preferable, but definitely doable. I just found out Saturday that I need new tires. Can I afford this trip? Yes, but I need tires. But yes. But I need tires. But I have to do this! IT’S BEEN 3 YEARS!

I went to breakfast with some of the girls from my college group. Over bagels, they told me that I HAD to go. Then my coworkers said, “Jenny, this is a must!” They were all confirming what I already knew. With that, I went into my boss’ office. All the numbers, dollar signs, and questions quickly vanished when she said, “Jenny, you can’t miss Monday.”

I FORGOT! I forgot that Monday is a big day in our department. Alas, I will not be going skiing this weekend. It was an exciting and crazy 24 hours of hopes and adrenaline. Even though a ski trip with only 48 hours’ notice would have been epic and an event to remember, I will not be going skiing. This time. But I feel good about it because I exhausted all the possibilities. It just wasn’t meant to be.

Getting the occasional “no” is all part of living an adventurous life. Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment